Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Stockings were hung...with care!

Voila!!! I finished Gracen's Christmas stocking that hangs at Nene and Gramps' house!!



The bow on the top left is made from a hanky that was my grandmother's. Loved the colors, and thought it would be a nice addition!.

For those that wondered - if you look at my last post you will see some "paper" pinned on the stocking. Well, I couldn't write Gracen's name on the burlap, so I wrote it on tracing paper, pinned it in place and then stitched through it. I was using DMC #5 Perle Cotton with a large needle, so it made big perforations in the paper. When I finished, I gently tore the tracing paper away and it worked wonderfully!

Another note of interest. A couple of people have asked about my name. Well I did a google search and found that there is an area in the Basque area of Spain (northern on the Bay of Biscay) that has a winery with  my name but also there is a 70 ft fishing vessel which was constructed in that area and yep, you got it! It is named DONIENE!! I got this photo from the internet, and just had to show you! I'm not an ocean person - I've only seen the Gulf of Mexico one time, but this is one beautiful ship!!



Hope you and all yours have a Blessed Holiday Season filled with Love, Joy and Peace!!!

13 comments:

Rhonda M said...

I was wondering about that paper! What a great idea and I will definitely remember it. Don't you just LOVE Perle Cotton!!! I hope you have a day full of blessings!

Rhonda M said...

P.S. The handkerchief bow adds a very precious touch to Gracen's stocking. It is a beautiful tribute.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

I wondered about your name--I thought your "PAPPA" named you!

Love Gracen's name and so special that you made her the stocking with the treasured family heirloom handkerchief!

:)Carolyn

Impera Magna said...

What a charming stocking for Gracen! And the "bow" adds an extra special touch...

I think "Doniene" means "creative genius"....

Janet O. said...

The Hankie bow is such a special touch, Doniene. Love that! Little Gracen is lucky to have such a loving, sweet Grandma.

Raewyn said...

The stocking turned out well, what a beautiful touch with the hankie. It's interesting to hear about your name. I had wondered if it was a 'USA' name a bit like mine seems to be a 'kiwi' name!!

Denise :) said...

Oh Doniene, the touch of the hankie bow on the stocking is perfect and so sweet! Before I paid attention to whose blog I'd pulled up (I'll open up a bunch, and then go through the tabs), I scrolled through the pictures -- the picture of the ship caught me up short, because I knew I'd seen it very recently! LOL! Hugs to you! :)

Maureen said...

The bow is a beautiful touch - what a lovely stocking! I think your daughter was right about the stocking - It's big! Have fun filling it with goodies!
Interesting about your name. My questions is how to pronounce it. I'm not sure I'm saying it in my head right.

Teresa in Music City said...

You did a wonderful job on Gracen's stocking! And the hanky is the perfect touch!

Kindred Quilts said...

Gracen's stocking is just precious... how special to add the family heirloom hankerchief! I too, wonder how to pronounce your name correctly! Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Lucy said...

Wow beautiful stocking Doniene, and that bow is so special. I love those stories.
I had to laugh about the ship which is named like you!

Dawn said...

The stocking is really sweet ;-) I am making notes so when I have a GC I can do some of these special projects too.
Love hearing about your wonderful name - very special.
Thank you for the wonderful year of sharing and beautiful projects.
Seasons Greetings and Happy Holidays! Have a wonderful week - hope you start 2013 in a special way!!

Jeanneke said...

Merry Christmas! * Vrolijk Kerstfeest!

Happy and Healthy New Year! * Gelukkig en Gezond Nieuwjaar!

Gracen's Xmas stocking is beautiful * Gracens Kerstsok is prachtig

Isn't the ship a mother ship? How appropriate :>)

Blessings,

Jeanneke.