Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"What's Country Now..."

...is a feature in the Country Living magazine. I've taken the magazine for years, and have seen the trends sway to and fro.




I chuckled when I saw this month's feature - also under the title of "Bargain of the Month".



Well, they really didn't ask me - but I've been "country" all my life - and I made one of these about 12 years ago - it just wasn't because I was trying to make a "country" statement. In fact I Country When Country Wasn't Cool.



There's a really sweet story that goes along with it! Mike's mother's family holds a reunion every year, and they always have an auction to raise money for the following year. Well, money was really tight for us at the time (we had just moved our family of 6 into a 16' x 40" cabin the year before. We were caring for Mike's aging parents), but I wanted to do something for the auction. I scrounged through my scraps and made the checker board and even hand quilted it (Back then I didn't even know that you could machine quilt!).


I cut the checkers from scrap lumber with a hole saw, and painted them, and Mike built some really neat clips for storage.



Our cost was $0, as even the paint was left over from another project that the girls had done.

I was excited to take it to the reunion. Lots of older folks attend that I thought would appreciate my work and I thought it would bring a nice price. But...only one bidder, and for $7. I didn't know who had bought it, but was a little disappointed. Well, here's the best part of the story - my sweet husband saw that no one was bidding on it, so he started the bidding! He said he would have gone higher, because he knew how much work I had done and he didn't want it to just go to someone else and just be thrown aside. I've treasured it since! So now I ask you...is it "country" enough and which is the better bargain?!!!!

That's my father's day tribute to my dear husband who is also a fabulous father to our wonderful children and an awesome Gramps to the grands - of which we now have two, with the third due in August.

Our second was born May 25 - a sweet baby boy named Asa Barret. I got to spend five days with them, and it was such a blessing.


I also was only two weeks late with his quilt!


 Not sure if you can see in the photo, but I had quilted arrows around the animal blocks and deer tracks in the cornerstones/4P. Mandie decorated the nursery in a woodland theme - which you can see here.

Hope this finds each and every one of you richly blessed and remember...




14 comments:

Sandra said...

I love your version of the Game Board;way more than the new one. Yours is more Country to me. And what a wonderful story about the quilt. I truly enjoyed reading about it. Your hubby is truly a treasure in himself. Congratulations on the grand babies.

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your new grand baby! So cute!
Such a sweet story about the checkerboard. Great post!

Dawn said...

Awwww, what a wonderful story. That checker set is really special. Congrats on the new grandson, he's a handsome guy with a great quilt.
Happy stitching!

Aimee said...

What a neat little checkerboard!
And Asa's quilt (love the colors) is so fun...what a doll he is :)
So happy for Mandie and Bobby.

Julie Fukuda said...

Both baby and baby quilt are darling and I have to say, I like your checkerboard a whole lot better!

Janet O. said...

Kudos to your DH! We have auctions like that at my family reunions and hand made items are never bid up enough. I sometimes buy back what I take!
I love the checkerboard--and the pins for the checkers are so clever!
Congrats on the new grandbaby and another on the way!
Sweet quilt--love Mandie's nursery!

Karen said...

I like the wire pin affairs you made to hold the checkers. And such a nice story. I made a quilt for my husband's family reunion auction a few years ago. A story too.

Raewyn said...

Such a lovely post Doniene, I love the story about the checkerboard quilt - dear Mike, I am not surprised he did something that sweet! Asa's nursery looks great - and your quilt will be right at home in there.

Hilachas said...

What a lovely story about the checkers and what a sweetheart of a husband you have, Doniene. Congratulations on the new addition to your country family.

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a fabulous story and I really love that darling checkerboard set you created & quilted all those years ago! Your husband is definately a "keeper" lol.
Congratulations on the new grandson too. What a beautiful little Angel.

Starr White said...

What a sweet, sweet story! I love it. And I agree with the reader who commented that your husband is definitely a "keeper"!!!

Ranch Wife said...

See, you're a trend setter! I love your game board and your story about Mike is just so dear! And welcome your newest little blessing! What a beautiful, precious baby. I know you are enjoying the moments.

Teresa in Music City said...

What a lovely story!!!! Your DH certainly deserves honors on "HIS" day :) I would definitely have bid on that set if I'd been there. Such a great conversation piece! And what can I say about that sweet new grandbaby? There's just nothing better in this world!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Carrie P. said...

Love the story about your checker board.
Congrats on your new grandson too. He sure is a cutie.